As beautiful women, we are victims of society's views... and in this case, our worth is being determined by our physical attributes. We created this blog to display our beautiful THOUGHTS and VIEWS on different topics. Our views are ignited by our passions, and our passions are beautiful. We hope you enjoy this ignited beauty.

::Our Visitors::

Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Beauty of Faith

The Ignited Beauty of Faith: ISLAM

Let me start by saying that I am by no means a theologian nor am I an Islamic scholar, but I am a Muslim who practices Islam on a daily basis. I will do my best to explain the beauty, the fundamentals of Islam and what it means to me.

What is Islam?


Islam consists of five basic pillars that are:

1. Proclamation of faith or the Shaddah; “ I proclaim that there is no God but God and Muhammad son of Abdullah is his last and final messenger.

2. Five daily prayers or Salat.

3. Zakat or Alms giving

4. Fasting during the holy month of Ramadan

5. Performing the Hajj, a pilgrimage to Mecca.

An important element is the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) the final prophet of God, who we believe placed the seal on the monotheistic faith. We believe that NO prophets will be sent after him and he was sent for ALL of mankind. Therefore, he is loved and held to a high standard by all Muslims.

Now to discuss what about this faith seems to ignite my heart with humility?

It is no secret that my family has been immersed deeply in this faith for over a thousand years, and that of course has had a huge impact on the woman I am today. It is present in the choices I make, the people I surround myself with, and my daily behavior. One must understand Islam is not only a religion but also a lifestyle.

Islam is one of the three major monotheistic faiths of the world; the other two being Christendom and Judaism. All three faiths have much in common, but also differ…

For instance, we do not believe that Jesus ( pbuh) is divine but that he is a prophet of God but NOT the son of God. The idea of having God having a son is considered blasphemy in Islam. The Quran explains it here,

"Christ, the son of Mary, was no more than a messenger; many were the messengers that passed away before him. His mother was a woman of truth. They had both to eat their (daily) food. See how God makes His signs clear to them; yet see in what ways they are deluded away from the truth!" (5:75).

"He [Jesus] said: 'I am indeed a servant of God. He has given me revelation and made me a prophet; He has made me blessed wheresoever I be; and He has enjoined on me prayer and charity as long as I live. He has made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable. So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)!' Such was Jesus the son of Mary. It is a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute. It is not befitting to (the majesty of) God that He should beget a son. Glory be to Him! When He determines a matter, He only says to it, 'Be,' and it is" (19:30-35).

Makes sense doesn’t it?


Equality

Another thing that I love about this religion is the emphasis on equality between all people, regardless of sex, race, or economic status. When you’re Muslim, you’re that first and that sort of mentality creates a unity. Not to say that all Muslims adhere to this, but it is fundamental part of Islam, equality among all people.


Modesty



Islam also encourages women to dress modestly, so that they are noticed for their minds instead of their physical beauty. However, western media has twisted this into an image of oppression. ß Simply not true. Nothing in Islam is forced. You only do because its what you believe is right. One must remember, Islam only requires you cover your hair, NOT your face. Unfortunately, much of what is culture is confused for faith. Although, I have not committed to covering my hair, I plan to do so soon, Inshallah (God willing).


Love

My favorite thing about this faith is the love, God’s love, compassion, and mercy that he has bestowed upon mankind. In Islam we are taught that God is the most forgiving and compassionate, and he will forgive and answer prayers that one comes to him with. Being able to go to God with one’s problems gives mankind hope, because knowing that one can absolved of their sins gives them the motivation to do better. Personally, knowing that if I honestly repent my sins and that God will forgive them makes me feel loved. And its an unconditional, eternal love.

In Islam I know that God is ALWAYS there to listen and forgive. ß This is the upper echelon of infinite love.

Also, in Islam God encourages love within family, and elevates family to the upmost importance. The Quran dictates that a child must obey their parents unless what the parents are asking goes against an Islamic belief. Illustrated in this statement made by the prophet Muhammad ( pbuh) when asked what would help one the most when trying to obtain a place in heaven.

Heaven is underneath the foot of your mother”

Beautifully said isn’t it?

In addition, Muslims look at one another as family and this sort of mentality encourages a strong community, or Ummah. This is expressed beautifully through the Muslim greeting, “ As Salaam Alykum” meaning, “may peace be upon you” ß an obvious expression of love, granting someone peace.

Islam is my foundation, my heart, and the light of my life. I am humbled to have been blessed enough to be apart of this faith. I hope that you may now understand why I have this faith to me is beautiful.

--Sozit

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the information provided is suffice for the "basic" knowledge of Islam. An important view of this religion is indeed confused with Eastern culture as faith, and should be distinctively separated as culture vs faith, however this is not the case in Western media ideas. We sadly see these images on television, film, radio and assume instead of researching it ourselves, or even visiting these countries that have a lot of wisdom to offer. We all are ignorant in our own ways and have much to learn about one another to bring our great continents back together once again. We all can learn from peaceful living.

    Being a Muslimah myself, I have learned much wisdom from my religion as being raised in Western culture. We all strive to have more patience and respect, whether it be in ignorant people or a change we must make within ourselves. Faith in itself is so powerful when many come to pray together that is changes the way we interact with one another. It is more than just a joyous commonality. And that is the beauty of FAITH!

    ps-I LOVE the soundtrack on this page =)

    Sarah, San Francisco, Ca

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones